So, friends, here is the latest evidence of the truism of the maxim: "If you don't know where yo are going any road will get you there."
"During the April meeting, we had a productive discussion about possible Working Group topics. Leadership and Community Development were themes that came out of the discussions and will be defined broadly to include the following:
1. Leadership Development – including young leadership
2. Community Capacity Building – including physical and organizational infrastructure – professional development
3. Philanthropic capacity building – including helping the not-for-profit sector – promoting and improving the quality of philanthropy – building the ability to raise funds in general
4. Promoting and facilitating volunteerism of all kinds – hands on and volunteer leadership – volunteering as Jews to help others
5. Safety and security – preparedness, monitoring, working on intergroup tensions, responding to violence and anti-Semitism, crisis management, rescue
To ensure that the Working Group has a clear understanding of the work our partners are already doing (or have done) in these areas, we would like to request additional information from you. As with the previous research summaries, we will integrate this information into a larger set of materials that describe the issues related to these areas of work.
We recognize we have not asked for information in this area before and have a tight turnaround, but any additional information you can provide this working group would be greatly appreciated. We need to receive this no later than next Thursday, May 10. As with all responses, please cc Karen Barth"
Karen Barth is the consultant to the GPT taking her orders from _____ _______.(Fill in blank yourself.) The recipient organizations were given five business days to respond. So the crucial work of the partners is to be set aside to respond to....this.
For the moment let's pretend that the Global Planning Table has a real purpose to it -- offering new and critical programmatic and funding options for meeting critical, vital needs in Israel and Overseas. If you understand the federations (oh yeah...them) needs (oh yeah...them) that would be met by 1, 2, 3 or 5 above, please clear up my confusion. The one-legged table that is the GPT is keeling over.