Friday, August 20, 2021

RABBI RICHARD HIRSCH, Z'L

The outpouring of praise, always insufficient, memorializing the passing of one of the great leaders of Reform, of progressive, of World Jewry -- Rabbi Richard Hirsch -- has been heart-warming. I cherished my friendship with Richard, with Dick, as one of the things of great value from my work within  the Jewish Agency and the United Jewish Appeal.

When I became UJA National Chair in 1996, I convened a meeting of the leaders of the main Diaspora religious movements -- at Chicago's Hyatt Regency. I asked them what UJA could do to enhance their work. Richard didn't hesitate: "We want help with our capital fund raising." 

And Rabbi Hirsch didn't wait, he embarked on a campaign to raise the tens of millions to build an International Educational Center for Progressive Judaism -- he and the World Union already envisioned the site, the grounds, the building and in the vortex created by his enthusiasm I was right there with Richard. In 1971, the specifics of the Center were laid out and, now, finally, a quarter-century later, the WUPJ was moving forward with UJA. Hirsch's enthusiasm moved all of us forward. You should visit the Center. It's a beautiful achievement.

Richard's enthusiasm for this work was part and parcel of his vision of modern Zionism -- an inclusive, embracing Zionism. Breakfasts and lunches with Dick, often with the wonderful Bella, z"l, were like attending an educational seminar. I was blessed. I engaged with their son, Ammiel, now the Rabbi of the Stephen Wise Free Synagogue. Over the years. I learned so much.

For a brilliant tribute to Rabbi Hirsch's life and legacy, read his friend, the brilliant journalist, Gil Troy's, tribute in: https://jewishjournal.com/commentary/339825/rabbi-dick-hirsch-a-liberal-and-zionist-hero/ My friendship with Richard was a constant joy. 

May his memory be for a blessing.


Rwexler


1 comment:

Harry Nadler said...

Ellen and I had the pleasure of knowing Rabbi Hirsch on a personal level as his daughter, Ora Pescovitz, and son-in-law, Mark z’l, were friends of ours in Indianapolis as well as their being very active in the Jewish community. Ellen taught several, if not all of his grandchildren, in Indy. We got to know Rabbi Hirsch initially through times they visited Indy and the Hebrew day school for things like grandparents day etc. Of course, I also interacted with him on several missions as well. Everything you said about him is true and possibly, you even understated what a great person he was and what an impact he had on so many things Jewish.