Monday, February 8, 2021

RABBI TWERSKI, Z'L

The Jewish People lost another giant upon the passing of Rabbi Abraham Twerski at age 90 on January 31. My time spent with this beloved Hasidic Rabbi was brief but he inspired me as he did everyone he touched. Over the decades he was a constant source of inspiration.

It was when I chaired my Federation in 1985 that I met Rabbi Twerski. Steve Nasatir called me to tell me that the Rabbi was going to be in town and we "had to" meet with him. Steve did not often direct me to a command performance so, after a few perfunctory "are you sure," we met.

If you have seen photos of the Rabbi, he looked no different than he did when we met -- the kindest eyes and the whitest beard. He spoke softly and with incredible compassion and passion. Twerski was ordained at the Hebrew Theological College and then earned degrees in medicine and psychiatry. His life and works were dedicated to bringing the totality of the branches of his education to bear.

That night Rabbi Twerski wanted us to understand that tens of thousands of Jews acxross the country were in the  midst of drug  and alcohol addiction that the Jewish communities were ignoring, apparently out of shame and ignorance. As the communities and our congregations ostracized these suffering men and women, they were forced to attend their Alcoholics Anonymous meetings in churches and storefronts. I was moved and ashamed -- how could I not have known that among our People in my own community would have been many suffering with the diseases of alcoholism and drug addiction?

Rabbi Twerski saw a Jewish religious and cultural influence on the AA 12-step program. He saw his mission, reflected in his writings and his work, as spreading the word, influencing communities to our responsibilities to those of our People most in need, whatever the cause of their need. In Steve and I and our Federation, Twerski had ready believers. With our communal leadership, we created and funded a program responsive to th needs -- the needs to educate and serve.

And so we joined the 1000's directly influenced by this charismatic Rabbi.  It was one of the best moments among so many over the two years of my Federation Chairmanship; it was certainly one of thise moments of which I am so proud.

May Rabbi Avraham Twerski's memory be for a blessing. Baruch dayan emet.

Rwexler




No comments: