Friday, December 25, 2020

PLUS CA CHANGE....

Hey, those of you who will want to write to me after reading this Post to admonish me that I can't criticize Israeli election practices unless I live there. Don't bother.

I mean, really: 4 elections in 2 years. What nation does that? Especially when the first three have produced similar results and gridlock?

I recall sitting with Israeli friends in Jerusalem literally a couple of decades ago listening to them complain about the Israeli election "process" to such an extent that they would no longer vote. I remember admonishing them for their cynicism about the Israeli political process then. Now I’ve concluded that these Israelis weren’t cynical enough -- not then and definitely not now even though I wish they would vote. 4 elections in 2 years …Jesus.

So, now, like you, I read that Likud is in disarray...Blue and White no longer exists...yada,yada, yada. Based on the last three elections isn't it safe to predict that the outcome on March 23, 2021, Election Day -- this one, just like the last one -- will be the same --  Groundhog Day.  Somehow Bibi will survive, won't be able to form a government, will join in a new Coalition, insist he be the first PM of the new government, assure that his coalition partner is frustrated at every turn, Coalition splinters and...new elections...again.

The following is attributed to Albert Einstein:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different result."

As the author of this Blog I have been reminded of my own insanity many, many times but that's personal -- what Israelis choose to go through twice a year in institutional, governmental insanity of the highest order.

Now, of course, I have no solution for this -- only the Israelis do as is their right and their obligation should they so wish.

Which, the scoreboard says, they don't.

A happy, healthy and safe 2021 to each and all of you, my friends.

Rwexler  

 



6 comments:

Paul Jeser said...

Richard - I do believe that you shouldn't be criticizing the Israeli political process. If you REALLY want to see change, then move there and get involved with the process as an Israeli citizen. Otherwise, what you write here will have no effect.

Anonymous said...

“One cannot alter a condition with the same mind set that created it in the first place.”
― Albert Einstein

Anonymous said...

I'll trade one Electoral College for a Parliamentary voting system. Just saying...

Anonymous said...

Despite the frequent elections and cynicism- Israelis turn out in a much higher percentage than Americans.

Anonymous said...

Hard to compare Israel and US when one country has Election Day as a national holiday and is thus much easier to vote. One party in the US has done everything it can to throw obstacles at some who wish to vote.

Anonymous said...

Israel does not have early voting. In virtually all the states we have three weeks of early voting (which is better than a national holiday).