Sunday, November 24, 2019

PET PEEVE

I assume, because I have so many, that most of us have multiple pet peeves -- e.g., people who keep their cellphones on at Theatre or movies, those seatmates who take their shoes off when the plane takes off (for the rest of the flight), you know, stuff like that.

One of mine -- and I don't really understand why these things bother me -- those professionals who don't practice law but insist on:
~ putting "Esq." after their signature line on their business cards/stationary; and
~ more recently, adding their law degrees -- as in "Richard Wexler, J.D." or, as I just read another, "B.A., LLB" after his/her name
Look, I don't mind if those who have received Doctoral Degrees like to be introduced as "Dr." even if the doctorate is in, e.g., English Literature -- they worked for years in almost all instances to gain that degree. It should be noted that one of my favorite humorists and reporters, Tony Kornheiser, having received an Honorary Doctorate from his alma mater, SUNY Binghamton, periodically wears a doctors smock on his Pardon the Interruption show on ESPN. (And I won't even comment on his frequent donning of a Turban and/or a smock or dress -- unrelated to that Doctorate.)

But "Dr." is different from J.D. or BA or LL.B  -- different in degree of difficulty at the least. I received my J.D. in 1965 and never deployed it as part of my "title." Would my 4+ decade career have been different? Better? And, never did "Esq." appear below my signature after my name. 

I guess if one is practicing law folks with whom one is dealing know you're an "Esq." and that you either have an LL.B or J.D. without the need for further notice. But, someone please explain to me why if you are running a metals business and have a law degree or you're a Jewish community professional you would have the need to let everyone know that you also have a law degree.

If this is a trend, some will now be adding those undergraduate degrees, number of children, years at the job. My suggestion, store it all on LinkedIn. You will be found.

I know this is just my rant, but, if you have an explanation of "why," let me know.

Please.

Rwexler
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, Richard.

Isn't Nasatir (Sr.) a foot doctor? How was that relevant in any way to his career as a Jewish communal professional?

I've worked with plenty of other Jewish communal professionals, however, who modestly don't use "Doctor" in their titles. Indeed, only after the fact in many cases have I learned that they have doctorates...and most of the time, the doctorates are in fields that are quite relevant.

Anonymous said...

https://books.google.com/books?id=0nE6AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA389&lpg=PA389&dq=richard+wexler+esq+chicago&source=bl&ots=lPqmHbFKzd&sig=ACfU3U0i6kE9nUcl_hrZAi1IObJRvbo4DA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjau92wmYPmAhXCpJ4KHdynD2AQ6AEwBXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=richard%20wexler%20esq%20chicago&f=false

paul jeser said...

Slow news day? :-)

RWEX said...

To Anonymous 9:52:

As they say today: "There's always a Tweet." Your prodigious research (amazing) suggests that the FCC addressed lawyers as "Esq." I probably respopnded to ther decision with an expression of my per peeve and, also, my objection to the decision.

To Jewser: probably.

Anonymous said...

This is on the same level as "From the Desk Of"...