Tuesday, March 2, 2021

HELP ME UNDERSTAND

 I need help in understanding what "cancel culture" means. I know the common definition as a form of "ostracism" in which someone or some organization is excised out of social or professional environments -- kind of a lech l'azazel directed at persons or organizations.


So, as far as definition goes, I think I've got it. But what about in application? For example, take the Zionist Organization of America (no, not in the Rodney Dangerfield "take my wife, please" way). When the ZOA was threatened with expulsion from the Boston Jewish Community Relations Council "driven by two left-wing groups" -- J Street and the New Israel Fund -- as described in an article in jns which may been written in ZOA's offices -- the contemplated action  was described a "[C]ancel culture hits Boston Jews." Yet, when ZOA itself attacked leaders of HIAS and HIAS itself, among other organizations and leaders, that's perfectly fine -- no "cancel culture" here.


So, do I have this right? If you or your organization is under scrutiny or attack, that's "cancel culture;" but if you are the one, or the organization, that is spewing out the attacks, that's not "cancel culture." Do I have this right? Does this make any sense at all?


If "cancel culture" is but a subjective phrase. absent objective standards, does it have any meaning at all? Look at it in context: "when I attack you...kosher,: when you go after me..."cancel culture."


OK....I think I've got it now. Thanks for listening!!

Rwexler

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean like when JFNA decided to "cancel" the UIA?
Was that "kosher" or "cancel culture"?
Whatever your preferred definitions are, it was certainly very wrong.
In any event, the time has certainly arrived - it is actually long overdue - to apply "cancel culture" principles to JFNA and to cancel it ASAP!

Anonymous said...

So certain groups in this country have had their culture cancelled for decades. Some for even as long as 400+ years. Not a peep about "cancel culture".

But when said groups wish to assert their long since buried history, culture and rights, then we hear 'cancel culture' from the very folks who have done all in their power to keep them at bay.

Anonymous said...

Great post, but I still think you are giving undue credit to Rodney Dangerfield. I believe Henny Youngman came up with the joke.

http://www.jewishhumorcentral.com/2012/06/comedy-classics-henny-youngman-take-my.html

As much as I love Rodney and appreciate his genius, he had a different shtick - "no respect."